Saturday, January 05, 2008
I finished!
My first sewing project, done! Bryce and I began this mission last April when we decided that we had cooked unprotected too long! Homemade aprons was the only way to go. Neither of us sewn before, but we figured it couldn't be that hard if we just followed the pattern, right? We went to the store and meticuously picked out the fabric. We thought the world map fit perfectly with our genuine genius and predestined potential. Unfortunately, the farthest we got with the aprons was cutting out the pieces before Bryce left for Argentina. It was then left to me to bring the pieces together for the final masterpiece. The first attempt was terrible. It was late in the night and the sewing machine kept getting tangled - I of course had no idea how to fix it, so from the atlantic down the western coast of South America there is knot after knot after knot. (thankfully Chrisy was around to encourage me to keep going or else I probably never would have made it to the baste around Southern Asia.) When trying to make the pocket, I used the red and yellow flannel Bryce and I had chosen. Apparantely flannel does not hold together well, ESPECIALLY if you try to iron it. just leave it alone. thats my recomendation. I didn't start the second one until a few months later, (that being now). Things went a lot better, maybe the few months in between allowed my sewing skills to ferment a little better. I still wasn't aiming for perfection, but I was able to ask a lot less questions, and there is definitely a lot fewer knots! Who knows, maybe I'll make this sewing thing a hobbie! But only in a few months, I think my skills could use a little more fermentation...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment